For Pool Construction
The homeowner or the general contractor should fill out a Building Permit Application (PDF) form available at the Building Department or online. A licensed electrician and plumber (registered to do work in the city) must pull their own sub trade permits on all projects.
Placement of Pool
- A pool shall only be placed on a property as an accessory to a primary structure (house or other occupied building).
- A pool may be placed no closer than three (3) feet to any property line. Traditional building setbacks do not apply to pools at or below grade.
- No pool or associated underground, private drainage / utilities can be located within a utility easement, unless otherwise permitted by all franchise utility companies.
- All pool equipment should maintain a three (3)-foot clear area between the property line and the equipment. If 3’ clearance cannot be met, there must be a gate on both sides of the house.
- The water surface of a pool does not count toward the total impervious surface allowance on a lot.
To confirm the zoning and/or setbacks of your property, you may contact Planning at 281-554-1080 or view the Interactive Zoning Map.
Construction Requirements for Pool
The Owner or General Contractor is required to submit to the Building Department the following documents for Plan Review and Approval, along with a Building Permit Application (PDF).
- Survey with and without the proposed pool.
- Copy of site plan showing the location of the pool in relation to any structures. Show the distances from the exterior of the steel to all structures (including transformers, utility risers/pedestals, and telecommunication risers/pedestals), p-trap location (if applicable), area drains, highlight the fence, and show the equipment location, easements and property lines.
- Audible alarms details are required.
- Area drains are required to be run to the curb; no curb cutting is allowed.
- Fence details.
- Impervious surface calculation of the entire property.
- Signed Pool Barriers Statement (PDF) Form (residential pools only).
- Pool steel detail.
- Pool equipment list, spa specs, structural specs, and deck specs should all be included on the submitted plans.
- Pool equipment information.
- Vacuum breaker location; pool fill required.
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan showing the minimal BMP’s being used during construction
- Copy of Galveston County Health District application (commercial pools only).