Library Cards & Accounts
Circulating materials, including audiovisual materials, may check out for three weeks (21 days). VIP cards may keep some materials for up to four weeks (28 days).
Number of Items Checked Out
The total limit for items checked out at any given time is 99.
Fines, Fees, & Payments
- Overdue items no longer accrue daily overdue fines. Once overdue by 30 days, items will be assumed lost and you will be charged the cost of the item plus a non-refundable processing fee of $5 per item. Returning assumed lost items will remove all associated lost charges and fees and your account will be reinstated.
- Any account that has assumed lost items will be suspended until these items are returned or the full price for item replacement has been paid.
- For lost or damaged items, you will be charged the cost of the item plus a non-refundable processing fee of $5 per item. If the lost item is found within a year of the payment date, and you have your original receipt of payment, a refund can be requested. All refunds are paid by the City of League City. Refund requests are not honored after one year.
- Any account that has a fine of $20 or more will be suspended until payment can be made on the account.
- Any financial obligation of $20 or more posted on any account for which you are the guarantor will cause all associated family accounts to be blocked and your borrowing privileges suspended until the balance on each account is under the $20 limit.
- Payments can be made in person at Helen Hall Library. Accepted payment methods are:
- Cashiers’ checks
- Money orders
- Personal or business checks (with identification)
- Traveler’s checks
- We do not accept PayPal, Apple Pay, or Google Pay.
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) materials are items borrowed from other libraries and still accrue overdue fines.The late fee for overdue ILL materials is $1 per day per item, with no maximum fine.
Getting a Library Card
To checkout library materials, place materials on hold, or request materials for purchase, you will need a Helen Hall Library card. Please apply in person for your free Helen Hall Library card.
Submit an online application here or print out a library card application (PDF) (Solicitúd en español (PDF)) and take it to the circulation desk. To apply for a card, you must be a resident of the State of Texas and provide proof of name and address; bring with you a driver’s license, utility bill, or official mail with a recent postmark that shows your name and current address.
Having a library card allows you to check out library materials and use the library’s public computers. To borrow library materials or access your account in person, by e-mail, over the telephone, or online, you must know your Helen Hall Library card number. On the day that you receive your library card, you may check out four items.
Age Qualifications for Library Cards
- A child’s card is issued to children ages 0 to10 and is limited to the children’s collection
- At the parent’s request, children under 11 may have the same check-out privileges as young adults
- A young adult card is issued to patrons who are 11 to 16 years old and allows access to all collections in the library except for R-rated movies
- An adult card is issued to adults who are 17 to 64 years old, and allows access to all library materials
- A VIP card is issued to adults 65 years and older
For questions concerning your library account, please contact the circulation desk at 281-554-1120. Please have your 14-digit library card number ready.
Using Your Card
Lost Library Card
If you lose your library card, simply come to the Circulation Desk in the library and request a replacement card. You must present photo ID with name and current address to get a replacement card.
Ways to Renew
- Select My Account on the library's online catalog page. Enter your library card number (the 14-digit number on the back of your library card with no spaces) and your PIN to log into your account. Select the "Checkouts" tab once your are logged in. Either select individual items or "select all" for the items you would like to renew. Select "renew" and "yes." Your new due date will display.
- Call the Circulation Desk at 281-554-1120.
- Call the automated phone system at 281-338-4144.
Limits on Renewals
- An item may be renewed twice if another patron has not placed a hold on the item.
- If the account is blocked, items cannot be renewed.
- Renewal loan periods are the same as original loan periods and begin from the original due date.
How to Place a Hold
Status of a Hold Request
Notification of Availability
Defining the PIN
Receiving Your PIN
Changing Your PIN
- Go to My Account and log in with your 14-digital library card number (with no spaces) and your 4-digit PIN.
- Under the "Personal Information" tab, click on "Edit."
- Any field that can be modified will become a box where you can add or change name and address information.
- Once all updates have been made, click "Save."
If you are in the library, staff would be pleased to help update your information or assist with any account questions.