- Helen Hall Library
- About Us
- Plan Your Visit
- Library Cards & Accounts
Library Cards & Accounts
Circulating materials, including audiovisual materials, may check out for three weeks (21 days). VIP cards may keep some materials for up to four weeks (28 days).
Number of Items Checked Out
The total limit for items checked out at any given time is 99.
Fines, Fees, & Payments
- Overdue items no longer accrue daily overdue fines. Once overdue by 30 days, items will be assumed lost and you will be charged the cost of the item plus a non-refundable processing fee of $5 per item. Returning assumed lost items will remove all associated lost charges and fees and your account will be reinstated.
- Any account that has assumed lost items will be suspended until these items are returned or the full price for item replacement has been paid.
- For lost or damaged items, you will be charged the cost of the item plus a non-refundable processing fee of $5 per item. If the lost item is found within a year of the payment date, and you have your original receipt of payment, a refund can be requested. All refunds are paid by the City of League City. Refund requests are not honored after one year.
- Any account that has a fine of $20 or more will be suspended until payment can be made on the account.
- Any financial obligation of $20 or more posted on any account for which you are the guarantor will cause all associated family accounts to be blocked and your borrowing privileges suspended until the balance on each account is under the $20 limit.
- Payments can be made in person at Helen Hall Library. Accepted payment methods are:
- Cashiers’ checks
- Money orders
- Personal or business checks (with identification)
- Traveler’s checks
- We do not accept PayPal, Apple Pay, or Google Pay.
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) materials are items borrowed from other libraries and still accrue overdue fines.The late fee for overdue ILL materials is $1 per day per item, with no maximum fine.
Getting a Library Card
To checkout library materials, place materials on hold, or request materials for purchase, you will need a Helen Hall Library card. Please apply in person for your free Helen Hall Library card.
Submit an online application here or print out a library card application (PDF) (Solicitúd en español (PDF)) and take it to the circulation desk. To apply for a card, you must be a resident of the State of Texas and provide proof of name and address; bring with you a driver’s license, utility bill, or official mail with a recent postmark that shows your name and current address.
Having a library card allows you to check out library materials and use the library’s public computers. To borrow library materials or access your account in person, by e-mail, over the telephone, or online, you must know your Helen Hall Library card number. On the day that you receive your library card, you may check out four items.
Age Qualifications for Library Cards
- A child’s card is issued to children ages 0 to10 and is limited to the children’s collection
- At the parent’s request, children under 11 may have the same check-out privileges as young adults
- A young adult card is issued to patrons who are 11 to 16 years old and allows access to all collections in the library except for R-rated movies
- An adult card is issued to adults who are 17 to 64 years old, and allows access to all library materials
- A VIP card is issued to adults 65 years and older
For questions concerning your library account, please contact the circulation desk at 281-554-1120. Please have your 14-digit library card number ready.
Using Your Card
Having a library card allows you to check out library materials and use the library's public computers.To borrow library materials or access your account in person, by email, over the telephone, or online, you must know your Helen Hall Library card number. On the day that you receive your library card, you may check out four items.
Lost Library Card
If you lose your library card, simply come to the Circulation Desk in the library and request a replacement card. You must present photo ID with name and current address to get a replacement card.
Quick link to manage your account
Ways to Renew
- Select My Account on the library's online catalog page. Enter your library card number (the 14-digit number on the back of your library card with no spaces) and your PIN to log into your account. Select the "Checkouts" tab once your are logged in. Either select individual items or "select all" for the items you would like to renew. Select "renew" and "yes." Your new due date will display.
- Call the Circulation Desk at 281-554-1120.
- Call the automated phone system at 281-338-4144.
Limits on Renewals
- An item may be renewed twice if another patron has not placed a hold on the item.
- If the account is blocked, items cannot be renewed.
- Renewal loan periods are the same as original loan periods and begin from the original due date.
Quick Link to manage your account
How to Place a Hold
You can do it from home with these steps:
- In a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) go to the online catalog.
- Select My Account and enter the 14-digit number found on the back of your library card in the Library Barcode Number field and enter your four-digit personal identification number in the PIN field. If you do not know your PIN, contact the Circulation Desk at 281-554-1120.
- Search the catalog. On the list of titles or on the detailed display of the title, click on "Place Hold."
Many users place a hold on an item before it is received. This is especially true for movies and popular fiction authors. Check out the "On Order" lists to see what's been ordered in the last 30 days and get in line early. You can also go to any service desk in the library and ask the staff to put an item on hold for you.
Status of a Hold Request
The best way to find out is to look at your account statement in the online catalog.
- Go the the My Account page and enter the number on the back of your library card (no spaces) and your 4-digit PIN when prompted. If you do not know your PIN, contact the Circulation Desk at 281-554-1120.
- From your account, select the "Holds" tab to review your current hold requests.
- If all else fails, simply call the circulation desk at 281-554-1120.
The "Holds" tab lists all hold requests that are outstanding. If the word "Available" appears in the "Status" column, your item is available for pickup.
Otherwise, your place in the holds queue indicates how many people are ahead of you in line. Wait time depends on how long it takes to process the item, how many copies the library has purchased, and how early/late the item is returned by the previous patron.
Notification of Availability
When the item becomes available, you will receive notification by email unless phone notification is requested.
If the library does not have your preferred e-mail address on file, go to the "Personal Information" tab under My Account to update your notification preferences.
You can also submit a form to request email address changes and physical address changes.
Quick link to manage your account
Defining the PIN
A PIN (Personal Identification Number) is a 4-digit number that is required for e-library transactions in which personal information is transmitted.
Receiving Your PIN
Your PIN is randomly assigned when you apply for a library card and is given out at that time. If you forgot your PIN, you may inquire at the circulation desk or call a staff member at 281-554-1120.
Changing Your PIN
It is possible to change your PIN to another 4-digit number that can be easily remembered. There are two ways to do this:
- If you know your PIN:
- Go to My Account and enter the 14-digit number on the back of your library card (no spaces) and your 4-digit PIN when prompted.
- Under the "Personal Information" tab, scroll to the bottom of the page until you see the Change PIN menu. Enter your current PIN and then type in and confirm your new PIN.
- Present your library card at the circulation desk in the library and request a PIN change.
Quick Link to Change Your Address
- Go to My Account and log in with your 14-digital library card number (with no spaces) and your 4-digit PIN.
- Under the "Personal Information" tab, click on "Edit."
- Any field that can be modified will become a box where you can add or change name and address information.
- Once all updates have been made, click "Save."
If you are in the library, staff would be pleased to help update your information or assist with any account questions.