- Municipal Court
- Defensive Driving
Defensive Driving Online Course
To request defensive driving visit the Municipal Court's website.
Dismissing Your Citation With a Defensive Driving Course
If you are interested in taking a driving safety course to dismiss your citation you must request permission to take defensive driving from the court by mail or in person by your initial appearance date (20 business days from the date of the citation). The following are the standard eligibility requirements for approval to take defensive driving:
- Defensive driving can only be approved if a plea of guilty or no contest is entered with the court
- You must have a valid Texas driver's license
- You must not have been cited with speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit
- You must not have completed a defensive driving course (for the purpose of dismissing a previous citation) within the 12 months preceding the date of the offense on your current citation
- You must provide proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance. Proof must show coverage for the date of the offense and must still be in affect
- You must remit cash, or cashier's check to pay court costs and applicable fees before taking the defensive driving course
- You will not be eligible for defensive driving if you hold a commercial driver's license, or held a commercial driver's license when the offense was committed regardless of whether you were in a commercial vehicle or personal vehicle or car
If you were cited for any of the following, you are not eligible to take defensive driving:
- Any offense in a construction zone when workers were present
- A violation resulting in a fatality
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- No insurance or failure to maintain financial responsibility
- Passing a school bus with lights flashing
- Speeding 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit
Applying by Mail
If applying by mail, please wait until you have received written permission from the court before taking the course. Upon approval you will be granted 90 days to complete the course and to obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. Upon successful completion and returning of your documents to the court within 90 days, your citation will be dismissed.
The court is not allowed to recommend a specific defensive driving course. Any course certified by the State of Texas for ticket dismissal will be acceptable including on line courses and video. Please refer to the phone book for additional courses.
To request defensive driving by mail please use this form. Include with your request a photo copy of your valid Texas driver’s license, insurance card and money order made out to the League City Municipal Court to cover the state costs and administrative fees for your specific violation. Contact the court for correct amount. Your request must be post marked no later than your initial appearance date (20 business days from the date of the citation).