Resolving Your Violation

Follow the Directions on Your Citation

The first step to resolving your violation is to read the instructions on your citation. The citation contains a lot of information on how to resolve your citation. (If you are a Juvenile, see the Youth Offenders page for resolving a violation.)

Entering A Plea

Remember only the person who received the citation can enter a plea to the citation. Photo identification is required when you appear. You have three plea options to choose from:

  1. No contest (nolo contendere): A plea of no contest means that you do not contest the violation filed against you and you are waiving your right to a trial by judge or jury.
  2. Guilty: By entering a plea of guilty you admit that the act is prohibited by law, that you committed the act charged, and that you are waiving your right to a trial by judge or jury. When you enter a “no contest” or “guilty” plea, you may:
    1. Pay the fine specified for the violation
    2. Request driving safety course
    3. Request deferred adjudication (disposition)
  3. Not guilty: A plea of not guilty means that you are informing the court that you deny guilt to the violation in which you were accused. When you enter a plea of not guilty to any violation, you will be set to a trial date. Please inform the court whether you want a trial by judge or jury. At your trial, a judge or jury will hear the evidence to determine your guilt or innocence.

Failure to Appear

If you fail to make a plea for each violation shown on your citation, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. For more information on warrants and how to resolve them, please refer to warrant Information.