On Saturday, April 11, the Galveston County Health District reported 14 new positive COVID-19 cases in Galveston County residents. This brings the county’s case total to 355. Today, the health district tested 59 people through its free COVID-19 drive-thru testing site. Since the drive thru facility opened, 367 tests have been performed with 4 positive and 152 negative results reported back to the health district. All other results are currently pending. Testing is not limited to just Galveston County residents, but only county residents who tested positive for COVID-19 will be included in the health district’s daily case update.
Testing appointments are now available through Saturday, April 18. The testing site is open by appointment only at the Galveston County Health District, 9850 Emmett F. Lowry Expressway in Texas City. For pre-screening and appointments, please call 409.978.4040
At this time, the health district is not planning to release a case update tomorrow, Easter Sunday. Our next case update will be Monday at 5 p.m.
The GCHD recommends the following hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash. If tissues are not available, cough and sneeze in your elbow. Do not cough and sneeze in your hands.
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The GCHD recommends the following social distancing practices:
- Avoid all gatherings of 10 or more people.
- Maintain at least 6 feet separation from others.
- Limit contact with people outside of your household. Avoid social visits.
- Limit visits and keep your distance from older relatives, especially those who are at a higher risk for developing serious COVID-19 illness.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
For more information on COVID-19, visit www.gchd.org/coronavirus.
If you have questions about COVID-19, please call the GCHD information call center at 409.938.7221, option 1.