Due to the rain and thunderstorms forecast throughout the day on Sunday, May 22, the 5K Fun Run and First Responder and Armed Forces Celebration at Hometown Heroes has been canceled. The family-friendly activities planned from 11 a.m. to 3p.m. for the event —including bouncy houses, touch-a-truck, mini-golf, etc. will be rescheduled for the July 3 Fireworks Extravaganza.
If you signed up for the 5K, we still want you to enjoy the brand new trail at Hometown Heroes Park, so we are going “virtual.” Here is how it will work.
- If you haven’t picked up your race packet and t-shirt, you can stop by Hometown Heroes any day next week.
- Then, pick a day, any day, between now and June 4th to go run the trail. This can be the Hometown Heroes trail, a trail in your neighborhood, or the Feathered Friends Trail that connects Countryside and Rustic Oaks Parks.
- Strap on your favorite timing device, and run or walk a 5k! That is 3.1 miles. If you run at Hometown Heroes Park, just remember you have to do two full laps around the park for it to be a 5k.
- The timing company we are using is switching the event to a “virtual” 5k, so you will be able to submit your time online after you complete the 5k. We will send out those instructions once we get them.
- Once you have completed your race you can go to the Hometown Heroes Park Recreation Center during normal business hours to pick up your finisher medal. They are open 7 days per week (except holidays).
- YOU MUST SUBMIT A TIME BY SUNDAY JUNE 5TH to be eligible for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place medal for your age division. Place medals will be available at Hometown Heroes Park from June 6th at noon through June 30th.