Did you know Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires involving cooking equipment? Following these safety tips could help keep you and your family safe during the holiday season.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them regularly.
- Stay in the Kitchen while cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Keep children away from the stove. Kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Keep the floor clear, so you do not trip over kids, toys, bags, etc.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate ware, or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
To learn more about Thanksgiving Safety, please visit: National Fire Protection Agency - Thanksgiving Safety Tips
If you are planning to deep fry a turkey this year, please follow these safety tips from our Fire Marshal division: