Package Theft Prevention Tips
- Provide delivery instructions. Instruct the delivery person to put packages on your back porch, at the side of the house, or behind benches, planters, or columns on your front porch to keep them hidden from porch pirates.
- Select a signature delivery. To prevent package theft, select “signature required” so that you or someone else has to be home to sign for your package.
- Have packages delivered to your office. For a more secure delivery option, have the shipping company send packages to your place of work rather than your home, foiling the best laid plans of package thieves.
- Have packages delivered to a locker at a local store – Amazon and other companies allow for alternate delivery locations.
- Sign up for delivery alerts. Sign up to have the delivery company send you delivery alerts via text or email so you can track your package in real-time and retrieve it as soon as the delivery person drops it off on your porch – before porch pirates have a chance to snap it up.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to help. Ask a trusted neighbor to watch for your package and if possible, pick it up right after delivery. Provide your neighbor with an estimated delivery date and time so that they can monitor accordingly.
What to Do if You Suspect Your Package is Stolen
If you suspect a package thief of pilfering your package you should:
- Check around your home to see if the delivery person placed your package out of sight, such as near the garage, on the back porch, or at the back door.
- Ask your neighbors if they saw a delivery person drop off your package or if the delivery driver mistakenly delivered the package to them.
- Contact the shipping company to determine that the package was sent properly. If it was, you can file a complaint with the delivery company.
- Call League City Police Department at 281-332-2566 and file a report.