Portable space heaters are often used to heat rooms and homes. They can cause fires, severe injuries, and death if not used properly. If using a portable heater, remember these important safety tips:
• Keep heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn, including furniture, carpets, curtains, and people.
• Place heaters on solid, non-flammable surfaces.
• Never block exits with a heater and keep them out of the way of foot traffic.
• Keep children away from heaters.
• Always plug heaters directly into wall outlets – NEVER use an extension cord.
• Turn off and unplug space heaters when leaving a room or going to bed.
Protect yourself from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning by installing a battery-operated CO detector, and never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or similar devices indoors.
To learn more about heating safety, please visit National Fire Protection Agency: Heating Safety